See this fiddle
: (enter some text in the input box and click 'select text')
It is selecting text in an inputbox on my iPod (5th gen iOS6.0.1), opening the keyboard and also showing the Cut/Copy/Suggest... menu
document.getElementById("p1").selectionStart = 0
document.getElementById("p1").selectionEnd = 999
Note that the number 999 is just a sample. You should set these numbers to the number of characters you want to select.
- iPod5 - iOS6.0.1 - Working ok.
- iPad1 - iOS5.1.1 - Only text selected. Tap selection once to open Cut/Copy menu
- iPad2 - iOS4.3.3 - Only text selected. Tap selection once to open Cut/Copy menu
For the last two, you might experiment by triggering a click event on the
- iPod5 - iOS7.0.2 - Using the fiddle in the link: Can't see typed text in input box.
Pressing select redirects me to facebook.com (??? wtf ???)
no idea what's going on there.
- iOS 7.0.3 : Thanks to the comment from binki update that the
.selectionEnd does work.
- iOS 8.x.x : Thanks to the comment from Michael Siebert. Taken from the comment:
I had to listen for both focus AND click events and then setTimeout/_.debounce
to make it work in both cases: click the input or focus through tabbing